Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Remembering "Blood Brothers"

I made a horrible mistake on Saturday, October 11, 2008 when I went to see the musical "Blood Brothers" at the Open Space Cafe Theatre: that was the show's final performance. And that meant that I wouldn't have an opportunity to see it a second time. I enjoyed it so much that I would have seriously considered seeing it a second time, and I definitely would have tried to talk others into seeing it. I did get together a group of 12 others to see "Blood Brothers," and every one of us thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated the show. We laughed out loud in parts, and by the end, I'm guessing that I was not the only one whose eyes became a little moister.

If you missed "Blood Brothers," you missed an incredible show. Two friends who saw it with me here in Greensboro had seen it in London two summers ago, and they both had liked it enough that they wanted to see it again. They also told me that an even tougher audience--the high school students with whom they were traveling--had also cited "Blood Brothers" as one of their favorite experiences while traveling overseas. Beyond telling a highly engaging story, Willy Russell's musical also confronts some of the issues of class and economics that have become even more timely here recently.

I'm definitely hoping that "Blood Brothers" will return to the area in the not-too-distant future.

In the meantime, the Open Space Cafe Theatre has a new-and-improved website for you to check out.

No comments: