Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Rumbling about Local Election Coverage

I agree with Roch and Joel: the News & Record, our local daily newspaper, needs to evaluate how it covers candidates for local offices.

Donna Riechmann expressed the same concern on Allen Johnson's "Thinking Out Loud" blog (scroll down to fifth comment).

I'd be willing to guess that other candidates--the "outsiders"--would agree.

Non-incumbents almost always start off at a disadvantage to incumbents.

The initial News & Record coverage only adds to that disadvantage.

On one hand, there are nods to how wonderful it is that there are 33 people interested in pursuing city council seats.

On the other hand, there are suggestions that that's too many individuals to cover and that the ones already presumed to be at the top merit greater coverage.

Most of the candidates only have two months to make themselves and their views known before the primary election (October 9).

There are only three months before the municipal elections will be held (November 6).

Sure, a lot of people don't pay attention to local elections and don't vote in them.

And some people will wait and start paying closer attention closer to the elections.

So automatically, candidates face an uphill battle: trying to capture the minds and the hearts of disinterested, easily distracted citizens.

I'm looking forward to the News & Record's coverage, as well as the coverage that will be provided by the Rhinoceros Times, Yes! Weekly, and local blogs.

In addition to the candidates themselves, I'm hoping that our local publications (in print and on-line) inspire greater interest, sooner rather than later.

One angle I've heard is that the abundance of candidates running might be related to the problems/scandals plaguing the City of Greensboro.

But so far, I don't think anyone can say for sure that that's true.

After the filing period ended, it would have been interesting for the first coverage of the complete list of candidates to have had a few quotes from the "new" candidates.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there were any quotes attributed to those lesser known candidates.

What made some of these people file for elected office for the first time?

Sure, we'll probably find out eventually.

But new candidates' motivations for running might have made for an interesting opening angle to the campaign coverage.

While I agree that it's interesting that Robbie Perkins is back in and that Trudy Wade and Mary Rakestraw are trying to make comebacks, I'm also very interested to find out about the other candidates, particularly the ones I've never heard about or who have never held elected office before.

John Robinson recently e-mailed some blogging politicians in an effort to solicit some feedback.

Maybe the News & Record could invite all the candidates to check out and take advantage of the News & Record's on-line and print offerings.

As someone who has promoted this area's blogging community, John might even suggest that candidates consider checking out some of the local blogs.

That might result in some of the candidates expressing themselves on local blogs or perhaps even starting their own blogs.

None of us know when the News & Record is planning to jump full-steam into its campaign coverage.

John seems to suggest later than sooner, which I hope is not the case.

We've already had presidential campaigns that have been underway for what seems like forever (with infinity stretching out ahead of us also).

A 2-3 month municipal campaign period is nothing by comparison.

Some of us are interested in coverage starting as soon as possible so that we can begin to learn more about the candidates and continue learning about them all the way to the primary and general elections.

We want to learn at least as much about new candidates as we'll read about candidates who already have better-established places in our minds.

The News & Record could encourage and promote greater and earlier interest through its campaign coverage.

I think that would serve a noble purpose for our community.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hardy, we see our role as helping the community understand what the candidates stand for and what they might do when elected. We don't see our role as helping unknown candidates get known. That's their job.

Writing about the candidates and what they have done and what they stand for now is probably what the candidates want, but I don't believe that voters are engaged in the municipal election or that they want us to start the drumbeat locally that you are already tired of nationally.

If by election time a reader of the News & Record doesn't know where the candidates stand, I'll plead guilty. But not on Aug. 1.

Anonymous said...

Seymour, I'm glad to hear your thoughts on this. Apropo of giving unknown candidates exposure and educating voters, the phone number Donna Reichmann left with the Board of Elections is not working for me. If anyone is in touch with her, I'd be grateful if they would ask her to call me at YES! Weekly at 336/316-1231 or e-mail jordan@yesweekly.com. Thanks.

SeymourHardyFloyd said...

John,

You've asked for reader input on a variety of issues, and I've only made suggestions.

Just as a good newspaper keeps politicians and other community on their toes by holding them accountable, you've asked your readers to do the same.

I'm a big News & Record fan. I have been since high school.

When I went to UNC-Chapel Hill as a student, I didn't get a subscription to the News & Record, but I daily sought out your newspaper stands.

There were days when I visited every stand I knew existed in the area, trying to track down a left-over newspaper. It sometimes felt like I was traveling to the far corners of the earth just to track down one last copy of the News & Record.

Back then, if the internet existed, I hadn't discovered it, and I don't know if the News & Record had anything up on-line. It would have made it easier to keep up with my hometown newspaper and what was going on locally.

I started writing this post in resonse to one of your posts, and then, as it started getting wordier and wordier, I decided to make a separate post of it.

Even with this comment, I'm realizing it could probably make a separate post, which I might turn it in to later on.

At any rate, I enthusiastically look forward to all of the News & Record's coverage.

I hope my comments didn't come across as harsh, unappreciative criticisms because that's not how I intended them.

And I don't think that's how others who are making similar points to the ones I've made are intending their comments to be taken either.

Just food for thought.

Sincerely,

Hardy

SeymourHardyFloyd said...

Thanks, Jordan.

I actually printed out the candidates' addresses and phone numbers last night, but I haven't tried using any of them yet.

If I find out Donna Riechmann's number, I'll let you know.

I look forward to reading what you write about the candidates and the election.

Sincerely,

Hardy

Anonymous said...

Donna's contact info (phone and email) can be found at her website www.donnariechmann.com