Thursday, July 26, 2007

What's on Pulpit Forum's Plate?

I'm not a member of the Pulpit Forum, so I only follow their efforts in the news.

But I wonder if these issues are receiving nearly as much attention from the Pulpit Forum as its efforts to keep Greensboro City Councilwoman T. Dianne Bellamy-Small from being recalled:

1) While it focuses on the recall election, has the Pulpit Forum's attention been diverted from Yvonne J. Johnson's mayoral candidacy?

Johnson has served on the Greensboro City Council since 1993, has demonstrated that an African-American candidate can receive city-wide support, and has the potential to become our city's first black mayor (as well as our city's second female mayor).

Since Keith Holliday, Grensboro's current mayor, is not running for reelection, Yvonne Johnson has a real shot at being elected to the position.

But in the election, Johnson faces Milton Kern, who could prove to be a formidable opponent.

Even though he has not held elected office, Kern has credentials that most first-time candidates lack, particuarly against an established politician.

I believe Kern will have at least a little bit of campaign money at his disposal.

Kern might also benefit from the City of Greensboro scandals that some voters might associate with Johnson (and the other 8 current city council members).

I just wonder: if the Pulpit Forum had to choose between these two council members (Bellamy-Small and Johnson), which one would members like to see represent our city at least two more years?

2) What leadership is the Pulpit Forum providing our entire community concerning the very serious problem of gangs?

I've missed any recently announced (or held) press conferences concerning the Pulpit Forum's efforts against gangs.

North Carolina state Rep. Alma Adams stated that the "[R]eal question is what's really the best way to stop [gang activity]."

Adams prefers that we focus more on preventing and less on punishing gang activity.

I would guess that many--maybe most or all--members of the Pulpit Forum agree with Adams.

Our schools and our community need some strategies and solutions.

What is the Pulpit Forum doing to help solve (and perhaps even lead efforts against) our city's increasing gang problem?

3) What more could the Pulpit Forum do to support the International Civil Rights Center and Museum?

In the fall of 2004, I excitedly began planning a field trip to this museum for my eighth-grade students.

That was the year that its opening was supposed to coincide with Triad Stage's "North Star."

I couldn't think of a better opportunity for my students than to see "North Star" AND the newly opened museum.

Needless to say, I discovered that the museum would not be opening that year.

(My students still benefited from witnessing one of the two most powerful and meaningful plays that I've ever taken students to see--the other being Triad Stage's "The Diary of Anne Frank".)

After announcing one or two later planned dates for it to open, museum organizers realized that there were obstacles that needed to be overcome and that it was better to discontinue getting the public's hopes up.

When will our community be able to reap the benefits of having the museum as a place for us to visit and invite others to visit?

What more could the Pulpit Forum be doing to help the museum move closer to becoming a reality?

4) What more could the Pulpit Forum do to help non-profit organizations that lost funding from the Guilford County Board of Commissioners?

It appears that efforts to convince this board to continue funding local nonprofits will not succeed.

What could the Pulpit Forum be doing to help these nonprofits find alternative sources for these lost funds?

5) Are there other problems and issues to which the Pulpit Forum might bring more attention and provide greater leadership?

As I indicated from the beginning, I don't have an internal view of the Pulpit Forum's efforts.

There is probably a lot of good work being done that goes unnoticed and unpublicized.

But when it schedules a press conference, an organization like the Pulpit Forum seems to be indicating to the community where its emphasis and greatest efforts are being placed.

Have I missed the Pulpit Forum's press conferences on the issues I've mentioned above?

Do Pulpit Forum members want our community to believe that Bellamy-Small deserves all this attention and support (from them and from recall organizers), compared to other issues and problems in our community that appear to be receiving less publicity?

Let us not forget these wise words from Sly and Family Stone:

Sometimes I'm right, and I can be wrong . . .
I am no better, and neither are you
We are the same, whatever we do
You love me, you hate me, you know me, and then
You can't figure out the bag I'm in
I am everyday people, yeah yeah

5 comments:

Joe Guarino said...

Hardy, welcome back!

With respect to your point about the Pulpit Forum members' efforts on behalf of Yvonne Johnson's candidacy, it may be very problematic for them to be advocating for specific candidates. The IRS frowns upon that type of thing from tax-exempt entities-- and what is the Pulpit Forum, but a collection of ministers given standing in the community by the serving at pastors in tax-exempt local churches?

Moreover, is there any concern regarding separation of church and state here? If a very conservative church began advocating for conservative candidates, how would that be received?

Joe Guarino said...

My bad. Toward the end of the second paragraph, it should read, "by serving as pastors".

SeymourHardyFloyd said...

Joe,

By trying to make one point, I may have ignored another one.

You've reminded me that blogging tends to require cross-self-examination--or others will call you out (not necessarily in a bad way and definitely not a bad thing).

I may have been guilty of thinking of the Pulpit Forum as a non-religious special-interest group instead of recognizing them as a religious and tax-exempt entitity.

(I may have conveniently confused the Pulpit Forum and the Simpkins PAC. Is there any overlap there?)

I do think that there has to be some separation between church and state.

I'm not sure where I think that line should be drawn.

Religious activism, from different directions, can be a positive influence in our society.

But how close do we want religious activism and political activism?

Is it ever OK for religion and politics to mix with one another?

What are the boundaries?

I definitely see your point about how such religious activism would probably be better received when coming from one's own political perspective.

You've given me some things to think about.

Thanks, Joe!

Hardy

Anonymous said...

You didn’t miss any thing the Black minister Pulpit Forum is doing g or saying about gangs because there hasn’t been anything said or done.

I am not sure what these ministers and their church congregations could do to help the CBO’s but I do know that one church alone collected and donated $40,000 to the Urban Ministries. That might give the Pulpit Forum ministers an idea but I really don’t believe this outfit is inclined towards “good deeds”.

No you haven’t missed anything. When the Pulpit Forum calls a press conference it is inevitably to play the race card.

I suppose you have noticed by now that I am not too fond of these people. I am not too fond of anyone who hides behind my Bible to promote and engage in criminal behavior. I’m just funny that way. BB

SeymourHardyFloyd said...

BB,

Even preachers need to evaluate themselves now and then.

We all need to do so.

I hope the Pulpit Forum members will step up and have a greater and more positive influence in some areas that need more attention.

I'm not sure if that will happen or not.

But we can always hope.

Sincerely,

Hardy