Thursday, July 26, 2007

Seymour's Purple Mind II: The Sequel Begins

Since I wrote my first letter to the editor as a high school student, the News & Record has served as a catalyst for much of my thinking about the world around me.

Knowing that not everyone is a fan of my hometown newspaper, I realize that some people will read that statement and feel sorry for me.

But from my perspective, I am thankful for and appreciative of all the information and ideas that I've gained from reading my local newspaper.

And understand that even though I agree with and support much of what is printed in the News & Record, I still regard myself as an independent, critical thinker.

I've already written too lengthy an introduction to my main point: I want to blame and thank both the News & Record and letter-to-the-editor writer Edward Carmichael of High Point for inspiring me to post a response, which has indirectly lead to me starting this sequel of a blog.

In trying to post my response, I almost lost it. ("It" referring to both my response and my cool.)

Very few things are as frustrating as taking the time to compose your thoughts and ideas, only to have them disappear.

I had successfully written some thoughts that had been swirling in my mind, and I felt that I had done a respectable job with the wording.

I wanted to publish my comments, but once I typed the key to post them on the News & Record's Letters to the Editor Blog, the comments seemed to disappear forever without successfully being posted.

I frantically went back, trying to retrieve the comments.

At first, I wasn't successful.

Finally, I found them.

I saved the comments elsewhere, and then tried to post again.

I still wasn't succesful.

Later, I used another computer, retrieved the saved comments, and then was able to post successfully.

The time I had taken to respond to Edward Carmichael's letter reminded me of what I liked about blogging when I first discovered the process: that I used blogging as motivation to read, think, and write more than usual.

And that I was able to record my thoughts, perhaps permanently (for better or worse, I know).

As I'm typing this, I've noticed a new blogger function. A quote bubble appears above the "SAVE NOW" button, and it reads: "Now Blogger saves your drafts automatically!"

Beside that same "SAVE NOW" button appears this notice: "Draft autosaved at 5:49 PM."

Certainly, a "new and improved" function, one custom-made for dummies who allow themselves to forget to save often as they type.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Seymour! Glad to see you blogging again.

SeymourHardyFloyd said...

Thanks, Anthony.

I've just reminded myself of how much time and energy blogging can take.

Hopefully I'll be able to find the proper balance necessary to continue.

Appreciate that you're still blogging and providing political cartoons for our community.

Take care.

Hardy

Anonymous said...

I, too, welcome you back! We've missed your voice both in the paper and the blogosphere.

SeymourHardyFloyd said...

Thanks, John.

Even during the off-time, the News & Record, in print and on-line, has kept me mentally engaged.

I appreciate that.

fletch said...

I'm glad you have found your outlet again.

I've never had the great desire to put into writing the workings (both positive and negative) of my, not always politically correct, opinions. I admire you for that. I am much more the appreciative reader.

Which reminds me, as I took the time to read through your thoughts, I was reminded of a conversation had not too terribly long ago about stories leading to stories and so on. HA!

Good luck, and I hope the balance can exist for you.

SeymourHardyFloyd said...

Fletch,

Will Chevy Chase return to play you one more time?

I like the name.

I do remember that conversation.

You're right, of course.

I need to remind myself to focus, proof, edit, and work on being leaner and tighter with my words.

See you in a couple hours.

Hardy

Anonymous said...

You mean me/my* kicking you in the butt for letting SPM1 go to seed was not at least SOME of the impetus for SPMII?? May Prince ignore all your gushing fan mail! (I know: he already does.) :-) And here's my broken-record, pedantic lecture plashing about your head and shoulders as you knew it would: (it's the version du jour of my "There Are Two Kinds Of Computer Users: Those Who Have Lost Data, And Those Who Will" speech) when composing a blog post, do so in your word processor and SAVE OFTEN. Then copy & paste into the comment window! (Which, granted, it sounds like you sorta did, albeit accidentally.) (So goodonya.) (And yes indeed, welcome back.)

* (which is proper?)

SeymourHardyFloyd said...

Steve,

Some funny stuff you wrote here!

I do owe you credit for starting this blog back up.

I owe a upcoming post to that topic, if I can find the time.

Just spent the rest of the afternoon checking on details for one of our possible field trips.

Talked to Kristina; she's also interested in setting up a field trip or two for her team.

I'm not sure which is proper.

But either way, the intended message has been fully conveyed. (And then some!)

Enjoyed lunch today.

Talk to you soon!

Sincerely,

Hardy