Saturday, August 11, 2007

Aggie Pride Stretches Back to Late '70s (for me)

When I wrote this, I initially provided this introduction (before recognizing that it prevented me jumping into that post's main subject more quickly):

N.C. A & T State University has been a part of my life since my elementary school years.

On teacher workdays and during the summer, my mom would sometimes take me to Ferdinand D. Bluford Library (its old building), where she worked.

I remember learning about this great man. (I'm hoping our Guilford County Schools will later take advantage of the opportunity to name one of its schools after him.)

And though I have very mixed opinions about this man, he's also a very well-known alumnus.

In high school, I had a chance to visit the campus and hear Dr. Benjamin Carson speak. (He's a talented neurosurgeon, the author of Gifted Hands, and an amazing speaker.)

I took a biology course at A & T one summer.

Both my brother, Brice, and his very-soon-to-be wife, Lynette Jones, graduated from A & T.

A couple years ago, I attended this event on A & T's campus.

And I'm leaving out other times that I've visited the campus and had positive experiences there.

It didn't take long to realize and appreciate how important A & T is to our community.

(I haven't even mentioned this particularly rich part of A & T's and Greensboro's history.)

With all this in mind, I care about A & T and its success.

I've cheered A & T's proud accomplishments over the years.

And when A & T has suffered set-backs, I've pulled for a quick and thorough recovery.

With this person at the helm, I'm expecting A & T to experience even greater success and many more accomplishments.

AGGIE PRIDE!!!

No comments: