Saturday, August 11, 2007

Why Are Bloggers Like So Totally Narcissistic?

A third question raised in this post and this post is why anyone would choose to join the "universe of the narcissistic."

That universe includes pretty much our entire community of bloggers.

At least according to Marcus Kindley.

Is Kindley right?

Are most bloggers narcissistic?

Absolutely.

It's present in probably each and every individual who writes for any audience larger than one's self.

It's also present in anyone who thinks he or she is more qualified than others to lead an organization or a business.

Politics itself creates its own special breed of narcissists.

Each sport produces one or two narcissists a year.

But, is narcissism always a bad thing?

Is it always excessive?

I don't think so.

It depends on how individuals express themselves and how they treat others.

It depends on how it balances itself in a person's personality and in his/her words and actions.

Not to be unkind, but in response to the narcissistic challenge posed by Kindley, these things stuck out about his post:

1. "Reading this makes me pat myself on the back for ending my blog." (Isn't patting oneself on the back one symptom of narcissism?)

2. "Proudly signed"? (No comment.)

Like John Robinson, I think Kindley raises some legitimate points.

But there's also a bit of unnecessary baggage with those points.

You can do better and be better, Mr. Chairman.

So can I.

Maybe that's the best point for all of us to walk away from this with.

5 comments:

Lenslinger said...

I was so gonna answer this with a thoughtful reply, but then I caught sight of my reflection in a shiny aerosol can and, well, you know....

Anonymous said...

My reading indicates that narcissism is a trait of the healthy mind. It is only destructive when it becomes Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Marcus Kindley is an exemplar of the latter.

SeymourHardyFloyd said...

Lenslinger,

We really just need to ban mirrors and other reflection-enabling objects.

That'd help us all out a lot!

Sincerely,

Hardy

SeymourHardyFloyd said...

Fec Stench,

NPD is NOT to be confused with NPG.

As you've implied, NPD is a destructive force. (I've never met Marcus Kindley, but I was given some impression that he's a better person than he comes across from some of his comments. I just get the sense that he's trying too hard to be or do something he's not.)

NPG (the New Power Generation) still employs Prince, and while his music peaked in 1984, he still does some good work.

(Brother Brice told me last night that Prince might be touring the US soon. I'm excited!)

Sincerely,

Hardy

Anonymous said...

I have never met a blogger who comes across worse than poor Kindley. There is no doubt he is a successful and important man - moreso than I shall ever be.