Sunday, August 12, 2007

Clinkscale Might Best Replace Bellamy-Small

I attended the Greensboro Neighborhood Congress's City Council District Candidates Forum on August 9th in the Nussbaum Room of the Central Library.

Four of the five district 1 candidates attended. (James W. Carpenter, Jr. did not show up.)

These are my current thoughts about these four candidates:

1. T. Dianne Bellamy-Small seems to understand many of the issues affecting her district and which city agencies can be used to make a positive difference.

Although I do not support the recall effort against her, voters should elect one of her opponents to replace her.

There have been legitimate issues raised about how she has handled herself in different situations.

She has tried to explain away criticisms instead of answering them.

If she is re-elected, I seriously doubt that she will have learned any lessons, despite the recall attempt.

Voters put their faith and trust in her to represent them, and while she may have served well in some areas, she has also behaved arrogantly and unilaterally, earning distrust and suspicion in the process.

2. For almost the entire forum, Tonya Clinkscale impressed me the most.

In her introduction, she emphasized economic development, affordable housing, safe neighborhoods, and private investment alliances.

She cited her experience as a self-employed project manager of construction and renovation projects and a licensed real estate broker, as well as her service on the Community Resource Board.

Clinkscale also pointed out her skills at bringing people together, successfully completing projects, and being active in the community.

She also promised to bring neighborhoods together.

She was honest about taxes, indicating that she didn't think we can afford to reduce taxes but that the council needs to be diligent about how money is spent.

Clinkscale's least impressive moment during the forum was when she indicated that she had reservations about RUCO but otherwise passed on the opportunity to elaborate at all.

This article is well-worth reading. From it, I appreciated learning about Clinkscale's personal efforts against gang activity; I don't believe she brought up those efforts during this forum. I hope she chooses to do so in the future. Reading about it made a strong impression; hearing about it might at least do the same.

3. Charles Coffey emphasized problems with crime, gang activity, slow economic growth, homelessness, and poverty.

He also referred to the revitalization of the High Point Road/Lee Street corridor.

Coffey seemed very sincere about trying to get people to get along together, citing better race relations.

When asked about how to promote neighborhood identities and ensure representation, he brought up the Glenwood area.

He also mentioned the need to "grow Greensboro," as well as the need for more revenue and to control taxes.

Regarding RUCO, Coffey pointed out that the biggest problem is enforcement, while adding that he wouldn't let a dog live in some rental properties.

4. Luther T. Falls, Jr. opened by talking about jobs and the increase in crime and gang activity.

While he mentioned involvement in the business community and in different activities, he was not very specific.

He mentioned making people more aware of existing services and focusing on small businesses.

Falls emphasized the importance of being aware of culture in neighborhoods, adding that tradition is very positive.

He expressed support for a gang unit.

He also said that RUCO has some merits but that it needed to be constantly reviewed to make sure it's accomplishing what it's supposed to achieve.

MY CURRENT IMPRESSIONS

If I had to vote today, I would cast my vote for Tonya Clinkscale.

I liked how she presented herself and her ideas.

Reading more about her in the Carolina Peacemaker, I'm even more interested in her potential as a city council member.

If Clinkscale had a blog, I'd be curious to read and learn more about her and her plans for Greensboro.

For example, a blog would allow her to explain her RUCO stance; her response to the RUCO question was her main stumble at the forum.

As mentioned, Bellamy-Small has been given a fair chance to serve.

But with at least three decent candidates running against her, it would be a mistake not to give someone else a chance to represent and serve district 1 and the city of Greensboro.

Coffey currently ranks as my second choice.

Falls needs to be more specific. He spoke too often in generalities.

At least as they presented themselves at the forum, I didn't think any of the candidates were unlikeable.


Some came across better than others, but no one inspired dislike.

All of these candidates expressed genuine concern for our community.

Currently, Bellamy-Small is the only one with any known web presence.

Any of the other candidates could do themselves a big favor by creating (and using) a blog or at least setting up a website.

Carpenter is at an automatic disadvantage, but since it's early in the election season, maybe he will make it clear later why district 1 voters should consider choosing him as their representative.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Seymour's Purple Mind II,

My reservation of RUCO is not with the initiative itself but with enforcement. However, because I did not at the time of the forum have all the facts needed to validate my concerns, I decided not to express them, passing on the question.

My campaign website is under development, and I do intend to post citizens concerns, as well as, my address of those concerns on my website. In addition, when possible, I will be posting all of the inquires sent to me along with my answer to those questions.

I do not have the answer to every inquiry, however, I will attempt to answer each inquiry as publicly, honestly and forthrightly as possible.

Tonya Clinkscale

SeymourHardyFloyd said...

Dear Tonya,

Thanks for visiting. I admire you and each of the other candidates for making yourself available through the forum.

The pressure was entirely on you all, not on those of us in the audience. Some tough questions were asked, and particularly with the time limits on responses, I don't envy the position you all were in.

If I accurately recall your response about RUCO, you indicated that you had reservations but that you would pass on the question. I would have at least elaborated more than I remember you doing about why you weren't going to answer the question directly. You've done so a little bit here, but I think it's better to explain where you're coming from as much as possible than to indicate that you're passing on a question. It came across awkwardly, even though I think that you otherwise came across the best among the district 1 candidates.

I hope you will visit local blogs and possibly express yourself on them; if you're interested in looking into setting your own blog up, let me know, and I'll suggest some people who might be able to help. I would suggest visiting we101, which used to be Greensboro101. You'll need to select "North Carolina" and then "Greensboro" to see the titles of posts that have been made by local bloggers. That provides you an opportunity to read what they're discussing and possibly even share your own comments. I'd also suggest visiting Sandy Carmany's blog. Her blog gives an idea of what an elected official (or candidate) can do with a blog.

I do try to pay attention to what's going on in our local community. I had a good first impression of you and look forward to learning more about you. I had not previously seen the Carolina Peacemaker article about you. That came up when I looked you up on-line. Please let me know when your website and/or blog are up, and I will post information on this blog about it.

Best wishes in your campaign!

Sincerely,

Hardy