Thursday, August 9, 2007

Is Imani Graffiti Gang-Related?

Close to 6:30 PM tonight, I parked near the corner of Market Street and Church Street, across the street from the News & Record.

I was on my way to attend this event.

Walking along the sidewalk, I suddenly saw something to my left that made me stop and take a closer look.

At the site of the now-closed Imani Institute, this is what I saw:





Actually, I saw more than you just saw.

But the way the lighting worked, my camera couldn't capture the image as my own eyes saw it. (You can get some of the effect, but not the full effect.)

Not to worry.

Right about 9:00 PM, the Greensboro City Council candidates' forum ended.

After talking to a few old friends, I left the Greensboro Public Library and walked back to my car.

But before I made it back to my car, I stopped to see if I could take a better picture.

It was worth the time and effort to capture this powerful juxtaposition:



Does the graffiti mean anything?

Is it gang-related?

I honestly can't read it myself, so I can't answer my own questions.

Gang-related or not, it represents a public eyesore.

Either way, it seemed appropriate to post this after attending a candidates' forum that included some discussion about what appears to be a growing gang problem in Greensboro.

No comments: